PhD Program in Logistics and Management
Kühne Logistics University is very happy to announce the availability of 10 competitive full scholarships donated by the Kühne Foundation, for enrollment in the KLU PhD program in Logistics and Management per 1 September 2018. The Kühne Foundation is very happy and proud to donate these scholarships in view of the full recognition that KLU has received from the State of Hamburg (Germany) to grant doctoral degrees.
KLU’s PhD program is a unique program in training academics to be future thought leaders with a thorough understanding of one of the world’s most dynamic sectors. Digitization, new value-adding processes, and a need for increased sustainability along the triple bottom line have globally a major impact on corporations and society in general, and logistics and supply chain management in particular.
The PhD program is a four-year program mainly consisting of independent research under supervision by two academic supervisors of KLU’s outstanding faculty, encompassing a wide scope of social science and business disciplines. Furthermore, some coursework is required, consisting of courses taken at KLU, courses taken at our partner universities and broader networks, and relevant skills training. The course program is tailored to the specific focal research area of the student. Upon successful completion, the student will obtain the (German) degree of Doctor of Management Sciences/Wirtschaftswissenschaften (dr.rer.pol.) or the (international) degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).
Admission to the program is competitive and is based on the excellence of the applicant and the match in research interest with the university’s resident faculty and match in profile with the university. Candidates with an interest in digital transformation, sustainability, and value creation in supply chains, all in the broadest sense, are particularly encouraged to apply.
To be considered for admission, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Completed or about to complete a Master degree from an accredited university with a good international reputation
- English language proficiency at a level that is equivalent to at least IELTS 6.5 (Note: formal test result not required with application).
Scholarship and facilities
The KLU scholarship is 1150 euros per month, tax free. In addition, all students selected for the scholarship will be offered a (tax-free) mini-job of 450 euros per month, for which they are expected to serve as teaching assistant for a maximum of 10% of their time. KLU PhD students further receive a generous annual research and training budget of 5000 euros. The Kühne Foundation scholarship students furthermore receive a full tuition waiver. All these are for a period of four years.
- Cover letter indicating the specific reasons why you should be admitted to the program and be selected for one of the Kühne Foundation PhD Scholarships. This letter should also name specifically which of the resident faculty you are seeking to work with.
- Full resume (CV)
- Two references (full contact details)
- List of degrees obtained (Bachelor degree and Master degree) and quality indicators of the universities where you obtained these degrees. Quality indicators could include (but are not limited to): rankings (with URL to the published ranking), universities where your supervisor/advisor/teacher of key courses obtained their doctorate degree, or other quality indicators of your school or program.
- Indicators of your excellence in the program. Excellence indicators could include (but are not limited to): full transcripts with grades and explanation of grading system, class rank, and grade/rank of thesis.
- Indicators of your individual excellence. Excellence indicators could include (but are not limited to): ranking in national university entrance exam, high school grades, GRE or GMAT results and ranking, admission to graduate programs of reputable research universities or business schools, competitive scholarships awarded, prestigious awards received.
- Research statement (maximum two pages) in which you outline the research you would like to do, and with which faculty members there is most likely a good fit. Also explain how this research statement is linked to current or past research of resident faculty and the KLU. Feel free to get in touch with specific KLU faculty in advance of your final submission; however, please realize that faculty may not be responsive to all enquiries.
- Video of yourself stating in maximum 3 minutes why you should be admitted to the program, and specifically why you expect you could be a future thought leader in your discipline.
Submission and procedure
Please submit the files indicated above as a single .pdf (Please add your name and a clear and concise Table of Contents on the first page of your file) and a video file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that the maximum attachment size of the email cannot exceed 5MB. If your files have a size exceeding this, please send us a link (for instance using https://wetransfer.com/ ) such that we can download the file.
Review of submissions will start as soon as we receive the files and will continue until all 10 scholarships have been awarded. Awardees will be selected in monthly rounds, with the first set of decisions made in early March.