Andreas Balster joined Kühne Logistics University in August 2016 as a Research Associate in the fields of Freight Transportation Modeling and Computer Science in Logistics. His research topics are freight transport demand modeling, risk management in transport and logistics, critical infrastructures, food logistics and Machine Learning.
Currently, he works on the SMECS Project (SMart Event foreCast for Seaports), which is funded by the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure. The project focus is on the regulation of multimodal transport networks at seaports so that existing capacities can be utilized in a resource-efficient manner. Its aim is to design transport networks in such a way that reactions to disruptions can be prepared proactively across all stakeholders.
Before joining KLU, he worked as a Research Associate at TU Darmstadt. There he played a leading role in the BMBF-project SEAK (Decision support for food supply shortfalls), where he developed a dynamic commodity flow model for the German food supply system. He also organized the 1st International Conference on Production, Logistics and Traffic. Invited by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to be Guest Researcher in 2016, he applied his knowledge of modeling food supply systems to identify outbreak origins.
He studied Industrial Engineering at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology with focus on applied computer sciences, logistics, production technology, and finance. In his diploma thesis, which he wrote as part of the BMBF-project POWer.net (Planning and optimization of agile global production networks) at Schott AG, he developed an evaluation system for agile global production networks.
|since 2019||Senior Researcher at Kühne Logistics University, Hamburg, Germany|
|2016 - 2018||Research Associate SMECS Project (SMart Event foreCast for Seaports) at Kühne Logistics University, Hamburg, Germany|
|2016||Guest Researcher at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA|
|2012 - 2016||Research Associate at Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany|
|2007 - 2008|
Student Assistant at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany
|2011||Graduand at SCHOTT, Germany|
|2008 - 2011||Working Student at Majolika Manufaktur, Karlsruhe, Germany|
|2018||Doctor of Engineering, Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany|
Diploma in Industrial Engineering (Msc equivalent), Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT), Germany
- Balster, Andreas and Hanno Friedrich (2016): Dynamic Freight Flow Modelling for Risk Evaluation in Food supply. 14th World Conference on Transport Research, 10 – 15 July 2016, Shanghai, China.
- Balster, Andreas and Hanno Friedrich (2015): Modelling Dynamic Commodity Flows – Using the Example of the German Food Supply Sector. 12th International Multidisciplinary Modelling & Simulation Multiconference, 21 – 23 September 2015, Bergeggi, Italy.
- Balster, Andreas (2014): Modelling Dynamic Commodity Flows – Using the Example of the German Food Supply Sector. International Doctoral Seminar, 07 – 12 December 2014, Nagoya University, Japan.
- Balster, Andreas and Hanno Friedrich (2014): Modelling Dynamic Commodity Flows – Using the Example of the German Food Supply Sector. 26th NOFOMA Annual Conference, 11 – 13 June 2014, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Motzke, A., Andres Balster, Ole Hansen, Maja Herrmannsdörfer, Frank Schätter, Hanno Friedrich, Wolfgang Raskob, Marcus Wiens and Frank Schultmann (2014): The SEAK Project: Decision Support for Managing Disruptions in Food Supply Chains. Future Security Conference 2014, 16 – 18 December 2014, Berlin, Germany.
- Friedrich, Hanno, Andreas Balster and Ole Ottemöller (2012): Supply Chain Risk Analysis with Extended Freight Transportation Models. International Colloquium on Recent Developments in Freight Transport Modelling, 4 – 6 October 2012, Antwerp, Belgium.
- Balster, Andreas, Hanno Friedrich, Ulrich Berbner, Li Zhang, Steffen Despotov, Patrick Kroner (2012): Measures of Supply Chain Risk Management. IDRC Davos, 26 – 30 August 2012 Davos, Switzerland.