Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund for higher education: financial support for Norwegian students abroad.
The objective of the educational support from Lånekassen (established in 1947) is to remove inequality, and to promote equal opportunities so that the pursuit of education is possible regardless of geographical conditions, age, sex, economical and social positions. The Fund wants to ensure that the work environment for students is satisfactory so that the students may work effectively. It aims at ensuring a steady supply of educated labor.
The support is initially given as a loan, however, 40 percent of the loan may be converted to a grant if and when the student passes his/her exams or after graduation. There are special arrangements for maternity leave,illness, and students with children.Students who are enrolled at non-English speaking institutions may be eligible for a language grant.Students in countries other than the Nordic countries may receive support for all or part of the tuition fee. The support is adjusted according to the size of the tuition fee.
- The student must have a Diploma of Upper Secondary Education in Norway and must satisfy the general entrance requirements for university studies in Norway.
- The student must have an unconditional offer.
- The educational program must be approved by the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education, NOKUT.
- The educational program has to be at bachelor level or higher.
- Only full-time studies are eligible.
- The student has to attend the actual educational institution, i.e. there is no funding for online or distance learning programs.
- Support is given for no more than eight years.
- Study abroad programs of one or two terms which are recognized by a Norwegian university or college may qualify for support.
- Support is normally not granted for high school/secondary education or for studies that are equivalent to the level of Norwegian high school/secondary education, such as: the freshman year of a four-year bachelor's degree in the USA; medicine studies outside of Europe, the USA, Canada, and Australia; advanced diploma at a lower degree level.
<- Back to Additional Scholarship Options.