Cusanuswerk – Bischöfliche Studienförderung
The Cusanuswerk is the scholarship body of the Catholic Church in Germany and awards government scholarships to exceptionally gifted Catholic students in all branches of academic study. The most essential element of this sponsorship is a comprehensive interdisciplinary education program that aims to encourage discussion about science and belief, society and the Church.
With the scholarship holders’ openness and their readiness to take on responsibility, discussions arise across the borders of personal specialism, in confrontation with current topics and encounters with other biographies. The educational program is complemented by a range of spiritual courses as well as tutorial support during academic studies.
- Catholic faith is required as a basis. Applicants should take their path of faith seriously, form their church actively, live with it and stand up for their faith and for others.
- Applicants must have a citizenship of a European Union member state or the status as a resident student with foreign citizenship as stated in BAföG § 8 (“Bildungsinländer”).
- Applications are possible: for students at universities, technical and comprehensive universities, for students at Universities of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschulen), students at academies of arts, for students at music conservatories, and Ph.D. students.
- Enrollment or authorization to study at Ph.D. level at a state-approved university within the European Union is needed.
- At the time of application, applicants must have completed at least 5 semesters of study. After the successful completion of a bachelor's degree, application is possible directly before beginning a four semester master's degree.
- Applicants must show an excellent academic performance, as well as a high level of reflection, curiosity and creativity. They are required to be thoughtful and critical, to pose questions and to not be satisfied with simple answers, to be prepared to take a stand, and to take responsibility.
Back to the scholarships overview.