Katholischer Akademischer Ausländer-Dienst
Foundation close to the catholic church
The Catholic Academic Exchange Service (KAAD) is the scholarship institution of the German Catholic Church for post-graduate students and scientists from (developing) countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Near and Middle East, as well as Eastern and Southeastern Europe.
The KAAD supports its scholars in form of scholarships and educational programs and offers spiritual and personal assistance in view of future multiplying functions students will have in their home countries. This is based on co-operation with partner committees and associations of ex-scholars in those countries and it aims at setting up (scientific) networks and at contributing to a holistic development, which includes the religious, and inter-religious dimensions.
Scholarship Program 1 is addressed to post-graduates and to academics who already gained professional experience and who are interested in postgraduate studies (or research stays) in Germany. In Scholarship Program 2 KAAD sponsors advanced foreign students from developing countries who are already enrolled at a German university. The Eastern-Europe-Program focuses mainly on shorter study or research stays in Germany. Applicants for this program must be graduates/scientists considering writing their doctoral thesis/post doctoral lecture qualification or doing research in Germany. Please check the website for further information about the Eastern-Europe-Program.
Requirements for Scholarship Programs 1 & 2:
- Applicants are required to be Catholic Christians or should belong to another Christian denomination. Candidates from other religions can apply if they are proposed by Catholic partners and can prove their commitment to interreligious dialogue.
- Applicants must come from a developing or emerging country in Africa, Asia, the Middle East or Latin America.
- Above-average performance in studies and research is expected.
- The orientation of the applicants' studies should be towards permanent reintegration in their respective home region (otherwise the scholarship is turned into a loan).
- Religious and social commitment (activities) and willingness to inter-religious dialogue are required.
- German language skills are required.
Requirements for Scholarship Program 1:
- Applicants must have a university degree, and professional experience from their home country.
- Applicants want to acquire a master's degree or a Ph.D. at a German university or do a post-doctoral research project at a German university.
- KAAD is working with focus- and partner countries in different regions. There are so-called Partner Committees in these countries and applications are channeled via them. Applications from other countries can be considered only in exceptional cases.
Please visit the website for more information about your region.
Requirements for Scholarship Program 2:
- Applicants must be already studying at a German university.
- Applicants want to acquire a master's degree or a Ph.D. at a German university (applicants for master programs may present their documents as early as during the final semester of their bachelor programs).
Back to the scholarships overview.