Arrival Services - Insurance | KLU

Anne Rehmet, Head of Career Development & Alumni Relations and colleagues


Health insurance

Medical treatment is very costly in Germany, so you have to make sure that you are covered by insurance for sickness and emergencies. Additionally, valid health insurance with a German health insurance is mandatory for enrolment at KLU and you will usually not get a residence permit without proof of adequate health insurance. Foreign health insurance policies are only accepted if the country has an official agreement with Germany. This applies mainly to EU countries.

Students from the EU, including Norway:

There is an EU agreement which guarantees free medical treatment for EU citizens, including Norway, in Germany. Therefore students from these countries should contact the health department in their home country in order to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (which replaces E111 (B), E110, E119 and E128). It is imperative that your health insurance is valid for the whole period of studies; otherwise, please make sure that you are able to renew your insurance from Germany before its expiry date. If you are not covered by statutory health insurance, you must submit confirmation that your stay in Germany will be covered by private health insurance.

Students from other countries:

Students from other countries that have an agreement with Germany regarding social security, including an insurance clause, can continue to be insured in their home countries. In order to be exempt from German health insurance you will need confirmation from a local health insurance agency.

All other students:

Students who have spent less than 14 semesters studying at a university and who are under the age of 30 (with some exemptions) are eligible for the Statutory Health Insurance scheme. If you are 30 or above, you can opt for a private insurance scheme. However, once you have opted out of the state insurance scheme, it is almost impossible to opt back in. Therefore you should consider very carefully the advantages and disadvantages of both schemes. Non-EU citizens who reside in Germany at least 6 but no more than 60 months can get special health insurance policies with substantially lower premiums.

Personal liability insurance (Private Haftpflichtversicherung)

Personal liability insurance covers you in case of accidental damage to a third party or their property. You are covered whether the negligence was yours or that of a family member or even your pet. We recommend getting personal liability insurance in addition to health insurance. If you hold personal liability insurance in your home country you should check whether insurance cover is provided during your stay in Germany. The annual contribution for personal liability insurance very much depends on the provider. As a rough estimate, you should expect to pay at least 60 Euros. KLU can assist you in selecting or purchasing health and liability insurances.

For more information, Germans could check the insurance comparison charts at (German language only).