As an institution of knowledge creation and education, it is KLU's ambition and goal to positively impact the debate in the academic field, among students and alumni, in industry, and, in general, on a responsible transformation of the global economy and society.
Sustainability is tied to KLU's mission and is one of our Key Competence Areas. It is part of KLU's mission to address challenges regarding our society's sustainable transformation. Several activities, innovations, collaborations, and projects bring us closer to this goal.
In KLU we define sustainability broadly not only to include its economic, environmental and social dimensions but also to embrace ethical issues, resilience and humanitarian aid. The research that we conduct in this wide field aims to enhance the health and well-being of the population and the ecosystems upon which we all depend.
Areas of Engagement
Aspects of sustainability are targeted in many of the research actitivities of Kühne Logistics University.
- Find all KLU publications with focus on sustainbility by using the filter option.
- Center for Sustainable Logistics and Supply Chains (CSLS)
- Hapag Lloyd Center for Shipping Chains and Global Logistics (CSGL)
- Center for Humanitarian Logistics and Regional Development (CHORD)
- Find the KLU research projects with focus on sustainbility by using the filter "sustainability".
Sustainability and its relations to logistics, operations management, leadership, management, and economics is part of the curriculum in all our programs.
Examples of courses:
- Sustainable New Product Design and Design Thinking
Degree program: BSc Business Administration
- Corporate Social Responsibility
Degree program: MSc Management
- Humanitarian Logistics
Degree program: MSc Logistics & SCM
- Maritime Logistics and Port Management
Degree program: MSc Global SupplyChain Management
- Financial Management for Sustainable Value
Degree program: MBA
Besides that, we also offer focused programs:
Making our campus more sustainbility step by step is an ongoing process. We have already achieved some important goals:
- Green paper: KLU uses only recycled paper for printing on campus.
- Reduced printing: We have been able to reduce the print volume on campus by increasing awareness amongst students and staff by adding a "double confirmation" of each printing job.
Waste and Energy
- Waste separation: All campus waste is separated and forwarded to the recycling loop (whenever possible).
- Green energy and light-saving bulbs: KLU uses 100% green energy on campus. In order to save energy, KLU continuously exchanges older light sources to LEDs.
- Public Transportation: KLU offers financial support for students and staff public transportation tickets.
- Bike Parking: In the underground parking of our building, dry and safe bicycle stands are available.
- Procurement of office supplies: KLU orders green office supplys whenever they are available as alternative.
- Cleaning: Our cleaning contractor for the KLU building uses green cleaning products.
We're proud to announce our acceptance to the PRME community. We are committed to aligning our own strategies and operations with the UN Sustainable Development Goals and the six PRME Principles.
More information on PRME