André Ludwig is Associate Professor of Computer Science in Logistics at the Kühne Logistics University since April 2015. Before joining the KLU, he was Assistant Professor of the endowed chair of Logistics Information Systems at the Information Systems Institute of the University of Leipzig since 2012. There he led the research initiative Logistics Service Engineering and Management which was funded as light house project by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research. André Ludwig has studied at the University of Leipzig, NTNU Trondheim, Curtin University of Technology Perth, and Swinburne University of Technology Melbourne and received a Doctorate and a Diploma degree in Management Information Systems from the University of Leipzig in 2008 and 2004, respectively.
During his academic career Ludwig worked in several research projects such as Adaptive Services Grid, LOGICAL (both funded by the European Commission), InterLogGrid and Logistics Service Engineering and Management (both funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research). He was a research visitor at SAP Research Australia and Swinburne University of Technology Melbourne. He set up the Logistics Living Lab in 2013, an innovation platform for IT-based logistics in Leipzig and was involved in the development of the Future Logistics Living Lab operated by SAP, Fraunhofer IESE and NICTA in Sydney/Australia.
André Ludwig’s current research topics include engineering and management of adaptive logistics service systems, cloud computing in logistics, real-time monitoring of logistics processes, and cross-enterprise application integration in logistics information platforms. His research was documented in numerous international peer-reviewed articles and conference proceedings, i.e. BPM, WI, BIS.
Ludwig is excited about teaching in the inter-disciplinary field of logistics information systems. He is a guest lecturer at the Wroclaw University of Economics, a regular speaker at annual summer schools of the IS:Link network, and a co-organizer of annual summer camps.
Mutke, Stefan, Christoph Augenstein, Martin Roth, André Ludwig and Bogdan Franczyk (2015): Real-time information acquisition in a model-based integrated planning environment for logistics contracts, Journal of Object Technology, 14 (1): 2-26.
Abstract: In the past, logistics used to be a core function of production and trading companies but many of them started to outsource at least parts of their logistics functions to specialized logistics service providers in terms of logistics contracts. With this, sophisticated business models such as value added logistics service providers evolved which focus on tasks of planning, coordination and monitoring of entire supply chains involving multiple logistics providers. Challenges remain though, for instance how a complex logistics contract can be planned and how it can be assured that the providers comply with the planned process. In this article, we present a conceptual as well as technical solution to the monitoring of logistics services and show how to reuse this information in a model for the integrated planning of logistics contracts. A simulation model thereby ensures validity of the overall planning. An approach for integrating different models helps to overcome the problem of utilizing multiple models. Finally, an example scenario shows how each part contributes to a successful planning process for logistics contracts.
Klinkmüller, Christopher, Ingo Weber, Jan Mendling, Henrik Leopold and André Ludwig (2013): Increasing Recall of Process Model Matching by Improved Activity Label Matching, in: Hutchison, David, Jianmin Wang, Florian Daniel, Gerhard Weikum, Moshe Y. Vardi, Doug Tygar, Demetri Terzopoulos, Madhu Sudan, Bernhard Steffen, C. Pandu Rangan, Oscar Nierstrasz, Moni Naor, John C. Mitchell, Friedemann Mattern, Jon M. Kleinberg, Josef Kittler, Takeo Kanade and Barbara Weber (ed.): Business Process Management, Springer Berlin Heidelberg: Berlin, Heidelberg, 211-218.
Abstract: Comparing process models and matching similar activities has recently emerged as a research area of business process management. However, the problem is fundamentally hard when considering realistic scenarios: e.g., there is a huge variety of terms and various options for the grammatical structure of activity labels exist. While prior research has established important conceptual foundations, recall values have been fairly low (around 0.26) – arguably too low to be useful in practice. In this paper, we present techniques for activity label matching which improve current results (recall of 0.44, without sacrificing precision). Furthermore, we identify categories of matching challenges to guide future research.
No content available yet.
Teaching at KLU
Associate Professor for Computer Science in Logistics at Kühne Logistics University, Hamburg, Germany
Assistant Professor, University of Leipzig, Information Systems Institute, Endowed Chair of Logistics Information Systems
Guest lecturer, Wroclaw University of Economics, Poland
Visiting researcher, SAP Research, Sydney/Australia
Visiting researcher, SAP Research, Sydney/Australia
Visiting researcher, Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne/Australia
Research Fellow, University of Leipzig, Information Systems Institute, Chair Information Management (Prof. Franczyk)
Software Engineer at Xavo AG, Bayreuth
Doctoral Degree (Doctor rerum politicarum), University of Leipzig, Germany
Diploma Management Information Systems, University of Leipzig, Germany
CONFERENCE AND WORKSHOP PROCEEDINGS
- Böhlke, L., Ludwig, A., Glöckner, M.: Multi-Dimensional Performance Measurement in Complex Networks ? Model and Integration for Logistics Chain Management. In: 18th International Conference on Business Information Systems (BIS), Poznan, 2015.
- Glöckner, M., Mutke, S., Ludwig, A.: 'Engineering and Evaluation of Process Alternatives in Tactical Logistics Planning. In: 17th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS), Barcelona, 2015.
- Glöckner, M., Ludwig, A., Franczyk, B.: Service Classification Framework for Logistics Service Map Creation. In: QUIS14 (2015) - Service Excellence in Management, Shanghai, 2015.
- Klinkmüller, C., Leopold, H., Weber, I., Mendling, J., Ludwig, A.: Listen to me: Improving Process Model Matching through User Feedback. In: BPM 2014, Haifa, 2014.
- Glöckner, M., Ludwig, A.: Logistics Service Map - Work-in-Progress. In: 11th IEEE International Conference on Services Computing, SCC'14 Work-in-Progress Track, Anchorage, 2014.
- Roth, M., Mutke, S., Klarmann, A., Franczyk, B., Ludwig, A.: Continuous Quality Improvement in Logistics Service Provisioning. In: 17th International Conference on Business Information Systems, Larnaca, 2014. (B-ranked)
- Roth, M., Mutke, S., Klarmann, A., Franczyk, B., Ludwig, A.: Real-Time Service Profiling for the Efficient Simulation of Logistics Networks. In: 3rd IEEE International Conference on Advanced Logistics and Transport, Hammamet, 2014.
- Glöckner, M., Augenstein, C., Ludwig, A.: Metamodel of a Logistics Service Map. In: Abramowicz, W., Kokkinaki, A. (Eds.). 17th International Conference on Business Information Systems. S.185-196. Berlin; New York, 2014. (B-ranked)
- Augenstein, C., Mutke, S., Ludwig, A.: Integration von Planungssystemen in der Logistik - Ansatz und Anwendung. In: WI 2013 - 11. Internationale Tagung Wirtschaftsinformatik, Leipzig, 2013. (A-ranked)
- Mutke, S., Roth, M., Ludwig, A., Franczyk, B.: Towards Realtime Data Acquisition for Simulation of Logistics Service Systems. In: International Conference of Computational Logistics 2013, Copenhagen, 2013.
- Glöckner, M., Ludwig, A.: Towards a Logistics Service Map - Support for Logistics Service Engineering and Management. In: Blecker, T. (Ed.). Pioneering solutions in supply chain performance management - Proceedings of the Hamburg International Conference of Logistics (HICL) 2013. pp. 309-324. Lohmar, Köln, 2013.
- Klinkmüller, C., Weber, I., Mendling, J., Leopold, H., Ludwig, A.: Increasing Recall of Process Model Matching by Improved Label Matching. In: BPM 2013, Beijing, 2013. (B-ranked)
- Augenstein, C., Ludwig, A.: The Service Meta Modeling Editor - Bottom-up integration of service models. In: DESRIST 2013, Helsinki, 2013.
- Augenstein, C., Ludwig, A., Franczyk, B.: Integration of service models - preliminary results for consistent logistics service management. In: SRII Global Conference 2012, San Jose, 2012.
- Klinkmüller, C., Mutke, S., Ludwig, A., Franczyk, B.: Towards Automated Logistics Service Comparison - Decision Support for Logistics Network Management. In: 14th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, Wroclaw, 2012. (C-ranked)
- Kunkel, R., Ludwig, A.: Modellgetriebene ad-hoc Integration von Logistikdienstleistern - Integrationsansatz und Prototyp. In: Karlsruher Entwicklertag 2012 - Conference Day, Karlsruhe, 2012.
- Kunkel, R., Ludwig, A., Franczyk, B.: Modellgetriebene adhoc Integration von Logistikdienstleistern - Integrationsansatz und Prototyp. In: MKWI 2012, Informationssysteme in Logistik und Verkehr, Braunschweig, 2012. (C-ranked)
- Kunkel, R., Klinkmüller, C., Ludwig, A., Franczyk, B.: Modellgetriebene Integration von Logistik-Informationssystemen in die LSEM-Plattform. In: 41. GIJahrestagung - Informatik 2011, Die Rolle von Plattformen für Unternehmensökosysteme, Berlin, 2011. (C-ranked)
- R. Belter, T. Spies, A. Ludwig, B. Franczyk, S. Eicker: Towards Information Transparency in the Context of Service Management, In: IEEE International Conference on Service-Oriented Computing and Applications (SOCA 2010), 2010. (Best Paper Award)
- S. Donath, M. Mutke, M. Roth, A. Ludwig: RFID-based Business Process Improvements – Case Study, Results and Recommendations. In International Conference on Business Process and Services Computing (BPSC 2010), 2010.
- C. Klinkmüller, R. Kunkel, A. Ludwig, B. Franczyk: The Logistics Service Engineering & Management Platform: Operations, Architecture, Implementation. In: Int. Conference on Business Information Systems (BIS 2011), 2011.
- C. Klinkmüller, A. Ludwig, B. Franczyk, R. Kluge: Visualising Business Capabilities in the Context of Business Analysis. In: 13th International Conference on Business Information Systems (BIS 2010), 2010. (B-ranked)
- R. Belter, A. Ludwig: An Information Model for Managing Service Lifecycle Resources. In: IEEE International Conference on Services Computing 2009 (SCC2009), 2009.
- R. Belter, A. Ludwig: An information model for service lifecycle management. In: IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology (ICMTA 2009), 2009.
- A. Ludwig: COSMA – Ein integrierter Ansatz für das Management von Service Level Agreements bei Composite Services. In: 9. Internationale Tagung Wirtschaftsinformatik (WI2009), 2009. (A-ranked)
- A. Ludwig, T. Hering, R. Kluge, B. Franczyk: A Case Study on Managing SLAs in Composite Services with COSMA. In: Business Process, Services Computing and Intelligent Service Management (BPSC 2009), 2009.
- T. Hering, A. Ludwig, B. Franczyk: Die Entwicklung einer gemeinsamen IT-Plattform im Bereich Logistik. In: Software Engineering (SE2009), 2009.
- T. Hering, A. Ludwig, B. Franczyk: Proliferation in Service Types: Towards a Unifying Taxonomy of Service Types. In: International Symposium on Services Science (ISSS2009)
- A. Ludwig, B. Franczyk: COSMA – An Approach for Managing SLAs in Composite Services. In: 6th International Conference on Service Oriented Computing (ICSOC 2008), 2008. (C-ranked)
- A. Ludwig, B. Franczyk: Managing Dynamics of Composite Service Level Agreements with COSMA. In: 5th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD 2008), 2008.
- M. Momotko, M. Gajewski, A. Ludwig, R. Kowalczyk, M. Kowalkiewicz, J.Y. Zhang Towards Adaptive Management of QoS-aware Service Compositions - Execution Strategies. In: 4th International Conference on Grid Service Engineering and Management (GSEM 2007), 2007.
- E. Pulvermueller, A. Ludwig, R. Belter, D. Zyskowski, U. Heindl, X.T. Nguyen A Capability Oriented Management Approach for Business Integration. In: International Conference on Business Process and Services Computing (BPSC 2007), 2007.
- M. Momotko, M. Gajewski, A. Ludwig, R. Kowalczyk, M. Kowalkiewicz, J.Y. Zhang: Towards Adaptive Management of QoS-Aware Service Compositions – Functional Architecture. In: International Conference on Service Oriented Computing (ICSOC 2006), 2006. (C-ranked)
- A. Ludwig, B. Franczyk: SLA Lifecycle Management in Services Grid - Requirements and Current Efforts Analysis. In: 4th International Conference on Grid Services Engineering and Management (GSEM2006), 2006.
- Glöckner, M., Schwarzbach, B., Barton, A., Ludwig, A., Franczyk, B.: Visual Enhancement of Service Maps in Logistics Clouds. In: FedCSIS 2014, IT4L-Workshop, Warschau, 2014.
- Cayoglu, U., Dijkman, R., Dumas, M., Fettke, P., Garcia- Banuelos, L., Hake, P., Klinkmüller, C., Leopold, H., Ludwig, A., Loos, P., Mendling, J., Oberweis, A., Schoknecht, A., Sheetrit, E., Thaler, T., Ulrich, M., Weber, I., Weidlich, M.: The Process Model Matching Contest 2013. In: 4th International Workshop on Process Model Collections: Management and Reuse, Beijing, 2013.
- Mutke, S., Augenstein, C., Ludwig, A.: Model-based integrated planning for logistics service contracts. In: Fourth international Workshop on models and model-driven methods for service engineering (3M4SE 2013), Vancouver, 2013.
- Augenstein, C., Ludwig, A.: Interconnected service models - Emergence of a comprehensive logistics service model. In: Fourth international Workshop on models and model-driven methods for service engineering (3M4SE 2013), Vancouver, 2013.
- Mutke, S., Klinkmüller, C., Ludwig, A., Franczyk, B.: Towards an Integrated Simulation Approach for Planning Logistics Service Systems. In: 2nd International Workshop on Cross Enterprise Collaboration (CEC), Clermont-Ferrand, 2011.
- R. Belter, B. Franczyk, A. Ludwig: Electronic Service Management als Grundlage für Service Level Provisioning– Anforderungen und Evaluation. In: GI Jahrestagung 2010.
- R. Kluge; A. Ludwig, R. Belter: Towards Semantic Matching of Business Services and Electronic Services. In: GI Jahrestagung 2010.
- A. Ludwig, M. Kowalkiewicz: Supporting Service Level Agreement Creation with Past Service Behavior Data. In: Workshop on Service Discovery and Selection in SOA Ecosystems (SDS-SOA 2009), 2009. (nominated for BIS 2009 best paper award)
- A. Ludwig, B. Franczyk: Automated Creation of Precise, Composition-specific SLA Documents in Service-oriented Environments. In: Semantic Discovery Workshop (SDISCO 2006), 2006.
- A. Ludwig, P. Braun, R. Kowalczyk, B. Franczyk: A Framework for Automated Negotiation of Service Level Agreements in Service Grids. In: BPM Workshops (BPM 2005).
- A. Ludwig Challenging Automated Creation of Precise, Resource-specific, Composite SLA Documents in Service Grid Environments. In: Net.ObjectDays 2005.
ORGANISATION OF CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS
- Co-chair International Joint Conference on Software Technologies (ICSOFT 2016).
- Co-chair International Conference on Innovative Logistics IT Systems and Technologies (innoLogIST2014).
- Co-chair International Conference on Innovative Logistics IT Systems and Technologies (innoLogIST2013).
- Co-chair International Workshop on Information Technologies for Logistics (IT4L2013).
- Co-chair International Conference on Innovative Logistics IT Systems and Technologies (innoLogIST2012).
- Co-chair International Workshop on Information Technologies for Logistics (IT4L2012).
- Co-chair International Workshop on Service Orientation in Computing and Logistics (SOC-LOG 2011).
- Co-chair International Conference on Innovative Logistics IT Systems and Technologies (innoLogIST2011).
- Co-chair International Workshop on Service-Oriented Computing in Logistics (SOC-LOG 2010).
- Co-chair Service Level Management Workshop als Teil der Informatik 2010, 40. Jahrestagung der Gesellschaft für Informatik.
- Co-chair International Conference on Innovative Logistics IT Systems and Technologies (innoLogIST2010).
- Co-chair International Workshop on Intelligent Service Management (ISM 2010).
- Organizing committee Informatik 2010, 40. Jahrestagung der Gesellschaft für Informatik.
- Co-chair International Workshop on Service-Oriented Computing in Logistics (SOC-LOG’09).
- Co-chair International Workshop on Intelligent Service Management (ISM’09).
- Co-chair International Conference on Innovative Logistics IT Systems and Technologies (innoLogIST2009).
- Co-chair International Conference on Innovative Logistics IT Systems and Technologies (innoLogIST2007).
- Organizing committee 4th International Conference on Grid Service Engineering and Management (GSEM 2007).
Reviewer for journals:
- Electronic Markets - The International Journal on Networked Business
- Journal of Systems and Software
- Journal of Computer and System Sciences
- Journal of Internet Services and Applications
Program committee member:
Third Party Funded Research Projects
BMBF: Logistik Service Engineering & Management (LSEM)
The research project’s objective is the development of an integrated approach (concepts of methods, models and an integrated tool environment) for engineering and management of distributed value adding logistics services. The project facilitates applied research and provides the conceptional foundation for dynamic planning, management, monitoring and optimization of distributed value adding logistics services and their necessary information systems.
Timeframe: 01.05.2012 - 30.04.2017
EU CENTRAL EUROPE: LOGICAL
The project LOGICAL focuses on a transnational logistics improvement through cloud computing and innovative cooperative business models. The development of an innovative information and communication platform for logistics industry is located in the center of interest.
Timeframe: 01.05.2011 - 30.10.2014
EU CENTRAL EUROPE: ESSENCE
ESSENCE (Easy eServices to Shape and Empower SME Networks in Central Europe) focuses on efficiency problems in supply & distribution networks run by SMEs in various industrial sectors. These problems are due to static network configurations, habitual task assignments, non optimal transports and slow information exchange. ESSENCE faces these issues by developing eBusiness, eNetworking and eLogistics services as cornerstones for SMEs competitiveness and economic development. The ESSENCE vision is for a distributed open architecture made of several region-based installations of an ICT platform supported by a common knowledge to strengthen SME collaboration.
Timeframe: 01.07.2012 - 31.12.2014
EU FP7: Empowering Young Explorers (EYE)
The aim of the EYE project is to build a lasting European community of high potential young researchers (YRs) that are able to generate radical new ideas and build research collaborations in interdisciplinary areas, EYE will help them to develop their research potential and their ability to develop new curricula for FET. Specifically, EYE focuses on (a) S&T ideas of higher risk nature that can be generated through ideation and brainstorming and (b) collaboration between YRs across various disciplines and from different parts of Europe, and (c) on the YRs themselves, by developing their leadership potential through networking and training in the specific methods used in European collaborative projects.
Timeframe: 01.11.2013 - 31.10.2015
BMBF: Logistik-Service-Bus (LSB)
The research project logistics service bus (LSB) is sponsored by a regional oriented innovations offensive of the federal ministry of education and research. Its aim is the development of strategies for resolving the following topics in close cooperation with companies located in central Germany: (1) Development of a business service engineering approach to describe business processes and services in the field of logistics in a generic way (2) concept and exemplary implementation of a logistics service bus platform as a technical platform for integration and orchestration of cross company collaboration in logistics. During the project the LSB-demonstration laboratory with its integrated RFID laboratory was installed. Furthermore the endowment chair’s sustainable establishment was prepared.
Timeframe: 01.10.2006 - 30.09.2011
The Project InterLogGrid enables logistics companies to collaborate using grid and cloud technologies. The purpose of the project was to support planning and scheduling decisions as well as management and operation competencies in multimodal logistics networks in a more effective way.
Timeframe: 01.07.2009 - 30.06.2012