KLU offers a limited number of merit-based scholarships for exceptional applicants. Successful applicants will receive a scholarship for the tuition fees for their entire program of 50-100%. For all of our merit-based scholarships, the following requirements apply:
- Completed application for a KLU study program (incomplete applications or international applicants (non-EU) still owing the application fee will not be considered), please see our FAQ for more information.
- Minimum academic performance of 2.0 GPA (German equivalent).
- Completed scholarship application form, identifying the scholarship you wish to apply for.
- Only admitted candidates will be participating in the KLU scholarship selection.
- Scholarship deadline for international applicants/applicants without a valid German residence permit: March 31st (please make sure to have applied for a place of study by February 16th at the latest to be considered for the scholarship selection).
- Scholarship deadline for EU citizens or students with a valid German residence permit: May 31st (please make sure to have applied for a place of study by April 19th at the latest to be considered for the scholarship selection).
In addition to the above mentioned criteria, all applicants must include either an essay (max. 400 words), or a video (max. 3 minutes) as a response to an application question (specific for each scholarship).
In individual cases, applicants may also be asked to submit additional documents (such as a reference letter) supporting their strengths.
Please note, students can only apply for one scholarship. Students applying to the BSc. Preparation Program or the MSc. International Maritime Law and Logistics programs are not eligible for scholarships. For more information please write an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org@the-klu.org.
KLU Merit-Based Scholarships
Academic Achievement Scholarship
Candidates for the Academic Achievement Scholarship must display outstanding academic excellence and a drive to challenge themselves. Particular attention will be given to top grades in quantitative subjects: mathematics, statistics or quantitative analysis. Applicants for the Academic Achievement Scholarship are also asked to submit a reference letter from a teacher or professor supporting their academic strengths.
- Identify your greatest academic achievement, and explain the skills and personality traits that will make you an exceptional KLU scholar.
Future Leader Scholarship
Candidates for the Future Leader Scholarship must be able to identify they are individuals that have launched a business venture or sought out leadership roles in their school, at work, or in the local community (start-ups, volunteer groups, leadership boards, student clubs, etc.). This scholarship is for individuals who showcase the skills and determination to take initiative and become a future leader.
Application question (please choose one):
- Explain what you believe is the definition of a leader. How do you portray these attributes, and how does it affect your future ambitions?
- As a future business leader, what is one initiative you would like to pursue, or experience you hope to gain during your time at KLU?
- As a future business leader, how will you continue growing and taking on leadership roles as part of the KLU community?
Social Engagement Scholarship
Candidates for the Social Engagement Scholarship display a strong commitment to the greater good. They demonstrate this through their actions and involvement within a local, national or international community. Applicants will be able to identify their community engagement, or give examples as to where their passion for service has positively affected others.
Application question (please choose one):
- Explain/show what you have done to make a positive impact in your local community or on a global scale?
- If you had unlimited resources, what would be the one initiative you would support and the steps you would take to make a positive impact?
- During your time as a KLU student, what is something you are passionate about achieving or working on?
Gifted Education Scholarships
The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF; pl. check https://www.bmbf.de/de/die-begabtenfoerderungswerke-884.html) supports 13 institutions for gifted education that give scholarships to young people whose talent and personality indicate that they will be outstanding at university and in their professions, and take on social responsibility as well.
Scholars of one of the institutions for gifted education supported by the BMBF can apply for a full tuition fee scholarship at KLU:
Cusanuswerk - Bischöfliche Studienförderung
Ernst Ludwig Ehrlich Studienwerk e.V.
Evangelisches Studienwerk Villigst e.V.
Stiftung der Deutschen Wirtschaft / Studienförderwerk Klaus Murmann
Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
If you are a scholar of one of the 13 institutions for gifted education listed above, please fill in the KLU scholarship application form and attach an approval letter of the respective institution. Please send the application and the confirmation to email@example.com.
Important: To receive a Gifted Education Scholarship you need to be an approved scholar of one of the institutions above before your start your studies at KLU.