Please note that at KLU, financing issues for the whole course of studies need to be settled before commencement of studies. KLU’s budgeting support for tuition goes by the annual intake and offers no scheme for students already on the program.
Requirements KLU merit-based scholarships 2020:
- Completed application for a KLU study program (BSc/MSc; incomplete applications, or applications from international applicants (non-EU) still owing the application fee will not be considered), please see our FAQ for more information.
- Minimum academic performance of 2.0 overall GPA and 2.0 GPA quantitative subjects* (GPA: German equivalent; *mathematics, statistics or quantitative analysis).
- Completed scholarship application form, identifying the scholarship you wish to apply for.
- All applicants must include either an essay (max. 2000 characters, not including spaces), or a video (max. 3 minutes) as a response to the application question.
Special requirements for Academic Achievement Scholarship 2020:
- Minimum academic performance of 1.5 overall GPA and 1.5 GPA quantitative subjects* (GPA: German equivalent; *mathematics, statistics or quantitative analysis).
- Reference letter from a teacher or professor supporting your academic strengths.
Application deadlines 2020:
- Round 1: February 15th
- Round 2: extended until May 15th
- Round 3, for BSc applicants only: extended until July 15th
International scholarship applicants are strongly advised to apply for the first round already!
BSc Preparation Program 2020:
- Applicants for the BSc Preparation Program 2020 are eligible to apply for a KLU merit-based scholarship once they have successfully passed their entrance examination (Feststellungsprüfung, FSP) in 2021.
Students can only apply for one scholarship. For more information, please email email@example.com.
Please upload the application form together with your application essay or video.
Need-based scholarship component:
All or our scholarships are merit-based. We may additionally take your financial situation into consideration when evaluating your scholarship application. If you want us to do so, please express your interest in the scholarship application form.
Deutschlandstipendium (Germany Scholarship)
The aim of the Deutschlandstipendium is to support excellent students in Germany, regardless of the field of study or personal background. The scholarship support is 300 Euro per month – with no strings attached, i.e., students can use this money to fund any part of their daily life (such as housing, travelling etc.).
A specific requirement of the program is that 50% of the scholarship must be financed by a private sponsor. We are very grateful that Kinaxis, the Canadian supply chain planning solutions provider, has agreed to act as a sponsor for the Deutschlandstipendium at KLU for 2019-2020.
Each year, KLU students receive the Call for Applications by the Dean of Programs with all relevant details: Who can apply? How do I apply? What are the selection criteria? When is the submission deadline for applications?
KLU is an official partner university of high performance sport represented by the Olympiastützpunkt Hamburg/Schleswig Holstein (Olympic base) and the Allgemeiner Deutscher Hochschulsport Verband (German University Sports Federation).
In the context of this cooperation, KLU has implemented a scholarship program for German national team athletes, as well as a discount program for Bundesliga athletes (or an equivalent) in various sports. Find out more under KLU Sports.
Gifted Education Awards (Begabtenförderwerke)
The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF; pl. check https://www.bmbf.de/de/die-begabtenfoerderungswerke-884.html) supports 13 institutions for gifted education that give scholarships to young people whose talent and personality indicate that they will be outstanding at university and in their professions, and take on social responsibility as well.
Scholarship holders of one of the institutions for gifted education supported by the BMBF can apply for a full tuition fee waiver for intake 2020 at KLU:
Cusanuswerk - Bischöfliche Studienförderung
Ernst Ludwig Ehrlich Studienwerk e.V.
Evangelisches Studienwerk Villigst e.V.
Stiftung der Deutschen Wirtschaft / Studienförderwerk Klaus Murmann
Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
If you are a scholarship holder of one of the 13 institutions for gifted education listed above, please fill in the KLU award application form 2020 and attach an approval letter of the respective institution. Please send the application and the confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 15th, 2020 at the latest.
Important: To receive a Gifted Education Award 2020 you need to be an approved scholarship recipient of one of the institutions above before your start your studies at KLU (i.e. before September 01st, 2020).
KLU recognizes that it can be difficult for students from refugee communities to access and succeed in higher education. In order to support these learners, KLU offers full tuition waivers for talented refugee students from Hamburg, who have been admitted to our programs.
Please get in contact with us if you have a recognized refugee status, have a local residence permit for Hamburg, have successfully completed secondary schooling / undergraduate education to a high standard and are not older than 28 years at the beginning of studies.