Please note that at KLU, financing issues for the whole course of studies need to be settled before commencement of studies. KLU’s budgeting support for tuition goes by the annual intake and offers no scheme for students already on the program.
Requirements KLU merit-based scholarships:
- Completed application for a KLU study program (BSc/MSc; incomplete applications, or applications from international applicants (non-EU) still owing the application fee will not be considered), please see our FAQ for more information.
- Minimum academic performance of 2.0 overall GPA (GPA: German equivalent; if you are unsure how to convert your international grade and are already admitted for a place of study at KLU, you may inquire with us whether you fulfill the GPA criterion).
- Completed scholarship application form (to follow soon), identifying the scholarship you wish to apply for.
- All applicants must include either an essay (max. 2000 characters, not including spaces), or a video (max. 3 minutes) as a response to the application question.
Special requirements for Academic Achievement Scholarship:
- Minimum academic performance of 1.5 overall GPA and 1.5 GPA quantitative subjects* (GPA: German equivalent; if you are unsure how to convert your international grade and are already admitted for a place of study at KLU, you may inquire with us whether you fulfill the GPA criterion); *mathematics, statistics or quantitative analysis).
- Reference letter from a teacher or professor supporting your academic strengths.
- Round 1: February 15th
- Round 2: May 15th
- Round 3: July 15th
BSc Preparation Program:
- Students of the BSc Preparation Program 2020 are eligible to apply for a KLU merit-based scholarship once they have successfully passed their entrance examination (Feststellungsprüfung, FSP) in 2021. They may apply for a KLU merit-based scholarship in July 2021.
- Applicants for the BSc Preparation Program 2021 are eligible to apply for a KLU merit-based scholarship once they have successfully passed their entrance examination (Feststellungsprüfung, FSP) in 2022.
Students can only apply for one scholarship. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please upload the application form (to follow soon) together with your application essay or video.
Need-based scholarship component:
All or our scholarships are merit-based. We may additionally take your financial situation into consideration when evaluating your scholarship application. If you want us to do so, please express your interest in the scholarship application form.
Deutschlandstipendium (Germany Scholarship)
KLU is an official partner institution of the “Deutschlandstipendium” [“Germany Scholarship”] program of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). The aim of the Deutschlandstipendium is to support excellent students in Germany, regardless of the field of study or personal background. The scholarship support is 300 Euro per month – with no strings attached, i.e., students can use this money to fund any part of their daily life (such as housing, travelling etc.).
A specific requirement of the program is that 50% of the scholarship must be financed by a private sponsor. We are very grateful that Ostasienverein – German Asia-Pacific Business Association, as part of a wider cooperation with KLU, has taken over the regular funding commitment for the KLU for this year. Through the generous support of OAV and the matching funds of the BMBF, we are able to offer two scholarships, starting September 01, 2020.
The current Covid 19 situation also causes considerable financial hardship to many students, for example, due to lost jobs, unavailable internships, or financial challenges for their families. For this reason, KLU’s founder Klaus-Michael Kühne has personally committed to also directly support the KLU student body. Upon his initiative (and with a special approval of the Hamburg authorities, as we are exceeding the maximum number of scholarships allowed per 100 students), we are able to offer further ten scholarships for this year, also starting September 01, 2020 – coinciding with KLU’s tenth anniversary.
Details for KLU students to follow with the Call for Applications by the Dean of Programs each summer.
KLU is an official partner university of high performance sport represented by the Olympiastützpunkt Hamburg/Schleswig Holstein (Olympic base) and the Allgemeiner Deutscher Hochschulsport Verband (German University Sports Federation).
In the context of this cooperation, KLU has implemented a scholarship program for German national team athletes, as well as a discount program for Bundesliga athletes (or an equivalent) in various sports. Find out more under KLU Sports.
Gifted Education Awards (Begabtenförderwerke)
The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF; pl. check https://www.bmbf.de/de/die-begabtenfoerderungswerke-884.html) supports 13 institutions for gifted education that give scholarships to young people whose talent and personality indicate that they will be outstanding at university and in their professions, and take on social responsibility as well.
Scholarship holders of one of the institutions for gifted education supported by the BMBF can apply for a full tuition fee waiver at KLU:
Cusanuswerk - Bischöfliche Studienförderung
Ernst Ludwig Ehrlich Studienwerk e.V.
Evangelisches Studienwerk Villigst e.V.
Stiftung der Deutschen Wirtschaft / Studienförderwerk Klaus Murmann
Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
If you are a scholarship holder of one of the 13 institutions for gifted education listed above and fulfill our requirement for KLU merit-based scholarships (minimum academic performance of 2.0 overall GPA), please fill in the KLU award application form (to follow soon) and attach an approval letter of the respective institution. Please send the application and the confirmation to email@example.com by July 15th, at the latest.
Important: To receive a Gifted Education Award you need to be an approved scholarship recipient of one of the institutions above before your start your studies at KLU (i.e. before September 01st).
KLU recognizes that it can be difficult for students from refugee communities to access and succeed in higher education. In order to support these learners, KLU offers full tuition waivers for talented refugee students from Hamburg, who have been admitted to our programs.
Please get in contact with us if you have a recognized refugee status, have a local residence permit for Hamburg, have successfully completed secondary schooling / undergraduate education to a high standard and are not older than 28 years at the beginning of studies.